The A-Z Of Curtains + Blinds

Curtain + blind terminology can get a little confusing, so we’ve put together a handy glossary to make it easy to understand.

Still got questions? Get in touch with our friendly customer team on 0330 808 1787 or pop them an email at


A type of lining, an extra layer of fabric to stop light shining through so you get a good night’s sleep


Fittings used to mount the blind or curtain pole/track to the wall or window frame


Any combination of colours in which a style is available in


Another word for curtains

Face Fabric

The fabric that you have chosen, looking into your room


A shape (often round or pointed) screwed into a curtain pole at both ends to contain the rings (these aren’t always just round or pointed - our metal ones are flat)

Flush Window

A window which is set level with the wall{: .center}


The top of a curtain

Inside the recess

Installing a blind (or curtain) in the window ‘box’


Luxurious lining - an additional layer of fabric between ordinary lining and face fabric


A layer of fabric used at the back of both curtains + blinds to give it body and provide protection. Stitched offer 5 different types of lining

Outside the recess

Installing a blind above the window ‘box’


A box covering the heading and track of a curtain. The fabric equivalent is called a valance


Even folds in a fabric to add fullness


The amount of fabric at the bottom of the curtains at floor level


When the window sits further back than the main wall

Roller Blinds

One flat piece of material wrapped around a tube, these can be raised or lowered with a chain

Roman Blinds

Elegant flat panel blinds which form horizontal folds when open


Wooden panels fixed inside or outside a window that can be tilted to control light

Skylight Blinds

Window blinds designed to fit inside a skylight or velux window


The folds of a curtain to the side of a window when it is pulled completely open


A gathered band of fabric hiding a curtain track and heading. It is the fabric equivalent to a pelmet


Horizontal, overlapping slats. The slats can be tilted to control the light and be put at any height


Sheer fabric, can be used alongside curtains + blinds for privacy